The Oberlin community aims to retain and advance Oberlin's historic position as a national leader in inclusion by enhancing the climate for and success of a diverse student population in STEM.
The HHMI Inclusive Excellence Initiative at Oberlin College aims to build institutional capacity to engage and support all students in STEM, particularly students traditionally underrepresented in these fields. We work to rethink and redesign the STEM liberal arts educational experience at Oberlin to address barriers and improve retention. With student voices and needs at the center of our efforts, we aim to create an Oberlin STEM community where all students, staff and faculty feel welcome and affirmed.
1. To catalyze critical conversations surrounding equity and diversity on all corners of Oberlin's campus.
2. To increase and expand knowledge among faculty and staff of practices that support learning by a diverse student body.
3. To enhance institutional capacity for all students to succeed.
4. To cultivate a more welcoming STEM learning environment.
5. To develop and implement new models of collaboration across academic departments and offices.
Institutional transformation takes a village.
In order to restructure the way our communities are built and the way our curriculum is delivered, staff, faculty, and students across all corners of campus and beyond are collaborating to take on issues of equity and inclusion from many different angles.
Read on to learn more about our initiatives and how you can get involved.